21 July 2006

Believe and be Baptized

I believe that baptism is the result of obedient discipleship. It is not an issue of adult versus infant baptism, but rather believer's versus non-believer's baptism.

Sometimes I think that there is a contradiction between "justification by faith" and "infant baptism". I could be wrong.

Baptism is the external testimony of the internal submission to a life of discipleship.

Water does not save us so it does not matter how many times we are baptized if we don't believe. The fact that I have been baptized three times in my life does not make me a better Christian than somebody only baptized once.

It may be that baptizing infants gives them a false security that prevents them from taking the step of making faith in Christ personal and more applicable to their lives. I took the step of faith and made following Christ personal to me. My siblings who were also baptized as infants did not. If you looked at our lives now, then most would not know that we were all raised in the same Christian home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home