20 July 2006

Conflict

I went to church with my parents about a month ago. I went because they who led my Sunday morning Bible study in High school was going to be a guest speaker. He is a missionary who focuses on prison ministry and transitional housing for men and women.

He said something that really disturbed me while he was presenting new developments in his current ministry.

Just prior to him talking there was a prayer offered for one of the young men in the church who was going into active Army duty (from reserves) as a tank driver.

My former bible study leader got up after this and said that what he is doing pales in comparison to what the young soldier is going to be doing.

I could not believe my ears.

Is it common belief in the American church that soldiers fighting for the continued freedom of the USA (mideast democracy, peace, or oil depending on who you ask) are doing a better work than missionaries spreading the Gospel of Christ to the world?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it is a common belief among conservative Christians. Not every conservative Christian would agree, but I doubt most folks would be as disturbed as you are about it.

20 July, 2006 16:52  
Blogger Justin said...

I guess my concern is why being soldier has climbed to a higher position of importance than being a missionary.

why is the future of America more important than the spreading of the Gospel?

20 July, 2006 17:32  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That comment is pretty disturbing to me as well. If the Bible is true and there is such thing as eternity, there is no way that his work pales in comparison unless he isn't really doing much.

20 July, 2006 20:14  

Post a Comment

<< Home