08 February 2007

"Half-True Blasphemy" pt.1

I have been reading a lot of Anabaptist theology lately. I have labeled myself as an Arminian and as an Anabaptist but after some current reading I really don't need the Arminian label to express what I believe. It seems that most of the Anbaptist thoughts that I have been reading agree a lot with Arminian theology without the influence of Jacobus Arminius (or his followers problems with John Calvin's followers).

The following is something interesting that Balthasar Hubmaier wrote in 1527 about the freedom of the human will:

"... the world is an even more evil place now than it was a thousand years ago. This is what our history books show. This has taken place, it hurts to say, under the cover of the gospel. For as soon as you say, it is written, 'Turn from evil and do good' (Psalm 37:27) the answer comes back, 'We cannot do good works. All things happen according to the plan of God, by necessity.' They think this is an excuse for sin. And if you go further and say, 'It is written, Whoever does evil will be cast into the fire' (John 5; Matthew 25), they quickly find some fig leaf to cover their shame and reply, 'Faith alone saves us, not our works.' ... These are half truths under which we ... cover aall sorts of fleshly laxity. ... we blame God for our sin and guilt ... God must be responsible for our sins! This is the greatest blasphemy on earth."

Hubmaier goes on later in this letter to say:

"By denying free will, much cause is given to evil peole to lay all of their sin and evil on God, saying, 'It must be God's will that i be an adulterer and run after harlots. Well, God's will be done! After all, who can thwart the will of God? If it was not God's will, I would not sin. When God wills it, I will stop sinning!' ... All of this is the work of an evil, sly, and blasphemous devil! I do not see how a more harmful Satan could arise among Christians to hinder righteousness and godliness on earth."

We need to take responsibililty for the way we live our lives. We need to stop blaming God for things that go wrong or the wrong things we do in our lives. God knows that we are sinners and allows sin to continue in the world. We are not led into temptation by God but by our own evil desires.

My prayer for my life is that I may resist my evil nature and bring glory to God in all that I do. This is possible by the grace of God the Father, the salvation provided by God the Son, and the sanctification being done by God the Holy Spirit.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't have scripture to back up my comments so maybe that will make this mean nothing to you. But through all the Bible instruction I've been given over the years, I believe God has a will for our lives and for the whole world. I believe that God's plan-will be done, one way or another. We may make choices that change the path of God's plan but it will be done. God may use means that we may not find acceptable but His plan will be done. God doesn't need us to fulfill anything for Him. God doesn't need man at all. Out of His grace we exist and are allowed to make choices. I really don't think the world is anymore evil now than it was during Jesus time. Sin is sin and surrounds us everywhere. As Christians we do need to take responsibility for the good and evil in our lives, but we must also be able to forgive ourselves and others for the sins committed instead of making excuses. We need to continue on fighting the good fight and praying that God will guide us to serve Him in whatever capacity we choose or God leads us to choose. Jesus Christ is our example to love and serve a Holy, All-powerful God.

26 February, 2007 01:18  

Post a Comment

<< Home