23 July 2005

Burnin' Bridges

One of my favourite songs on the new George Strait album contains the following lyrics: "it's amazing what a man can see by the light of a burning bridge"

This got me thinking about my pursuit of holiness. By holiness, sanctification to those who like more theological terminology, I mean the process by which God is bringing me to the point of loving Him with my whole heart, soul, mind, and strength. In a way I am becoming more fully submitted to the will of God (becoming more Muslim in the most strict definition of the word).

I doubt that George Strait (or whoever wrote this song for him) was getting at the point of denying family for the sake of Christ but I think that these lyrics really hit on this concept on which Jesus taught His disciples and those who happened to be in earshot of His sermons.

I am trying to say that I need to burn bridges and not dwell on the past (or past relationships) if I am going to serve God with all that I am. Jesus said that a prophet is not welcome in his hometown. I do not believe that I am a prophet but I do know that my religious convictions are not understood by the family and friends that I have completely left behind or am in the process of leaving behind for the sake of the Gospel and what I believe God has called me to do with the life He has so graciously provided.

If I were completely honest, then I would have to say that this calling or conviction of God in my life is not completely understood by myself either. I wish that it were because then I could better explain it to those around me who are seeking to figure me out.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris B. said...

I identify with what you're saying, and I have burned a few bridges in my day. But don't you think with the number of people (family, friends) in your life that probably do have a difficult time grasping your unique calling from God that burning bridges (relationships) with people just because they don't necessarily understand what you're called to do would leave you with very few bridges left behind? I would think that from the light of a burning bridge, you may sometimes be able to see the faces of people you wish you still had a connection to on the other side of the newly impassable chasm.

26 July, 2005 02:02  
Blogger Justin said...

I have to admit that posting these thoughts are the result of what some may call a dream. For some reason, I woke up thinking about childhood friends that I wish I was still in contact with.

Normally I would dwell on these thoughts and invest time in contacting them but this time two things happened when I considered this.

First, thinking about the past and the good times I used to have with these friend made me feel depressed because I have been doing nothing with my life lately.

Second, if I were to keep in contact with all of these people I would have no time for the calling that I believe God has placed in my life.

I do not advocate burning bridges to people that don't understand but rather to those relationships and commitments in my life that are a distraction to the call of God.

One can still, or must, have relationships with others while pursuing God with all that they are. Sometimes I wonder how it is possible to pursue God with everything while still maintaining relationships with other people. It has to be possible because of the large part that community plays in the salvation (sanctification) process in our lives (previous post).

26 July, 2005 09:59  
Blogger Michelle said...

My friend Padre just wrote about this on his site. His is becoming a priest, and there is a woman whom he was very attracted to that is upset he is not giving their relationship a shot.
I am the opposite of you. I try to keep in touch with everyone, but I think that is part of my calling. People are like presants to me.

26 July, 2005 13:14  

Post a Comment

<< Home